VISION OF THE ROLE:
In order to safeguard the long-term success of Burhill Golf Club for its family owners, the General Manager will deliver great integrity and judgement combined with determined focus and exemplary leadership and communication skills. They will need to guide the business to deliver the highest levels of standards and service, taking time and patience to modernise custom and practice, whilst preserving the intrinsic qualities of the club’s heritage, thus maximising the niche appeal of the club to a broad market whilst losing none of the club’s rich history.
Looking to the horizon, it remains the ambition of the company for Burhill to add further leisure facilities in order to become the preeminent golf and leisure destination to the southwest of London.
Primary accountability is to sustain golf membership, developing member engagement and levels of satisfaction through the development of an exceptional team of staff. Secondly, the role will be measured against improving service standards and incomes connected with member related hospitality activities. Finally, as custodians of the Grade II mansion house, the role will be measured against managing and improving proactive facilities management in order the features of the property are safely and correctly presented.
- People Management – ensure all team members are performing to their optimum ability, recognising and rewarding high and exceptional performance and performance managing under or poor performers.
- Regular, relevant and timely communication across the teams to ensure full understanding and transparency of company objectives and performance.
- Take an active role in the recruitment and consistent induction of all staff members, taking overall responsibility for their welfare and their development.
- Ensure recruitment is completed ethically and legally. Job descriptions, expectations and goals are described at length. Comprehensive note taking at interview stage to reflect the candidate response. Compliance with Right to Live & Work laws and references sought and confirmed.
- Ensure direct reports receive a weekly objective led 1:1 business review.
- Ensure direct reports receive performance support utilising the structure and process provided by the company.
- Ensure Heads of Department maintain an annual training plan for their department and direct reports.
- Ensure levels of compliance within the BGL Academy are above 95% at all times.
- Lead and manage a weekly structured HoD meeting accompanied by SMART minutes.
- Conduct a twice yearly all-staff briefing.
- Develop a strong network of collaboration with fellow general managers.
- Maintain oversight of personnel records by employing a good housekeeping approach.
- Maintain a high level of communication with the membership, MBWA, newsletters and personally taking charge of detracting feedback.
- Uphold the traditions of Burhill Golf Club, maintaining the formality of working with Committee whilst adopting a progressive and modernising agenda in order the interests of the wider membership and the owner are preserved, i.e. discourage and prevent short-term minority interests.
Sales & Marketing
- Conduct weekly based objective and review meetings with the sales team.
- Maintain a close working relationship with the Regional Sales Manager and Marketing Manager.
- Maintain an active role with the group appointed PR agency utilising their expertise in communication.
- Take responsibility for ensuring member and prospect data is managed accurately and ethically.
- Check accuracy and authorise all sales related commissions.
- Maintain a competitor market analysis (CMA) file detailing competitors shopped; annually shop in person and on a quarterly basis carry out a web / phone CMA.
- Deliver an annual renewal plan for membership renewals based around proactive retention.
- Ensure ESP is maintained for exceptions, updating of leavers and accurate record keeping in order a monthly summary of membership numbers if produced with the business report.
- Take full responsibility for the strategic positioning and development of the club. This should include quarterly competitive marketing analysis culminating in the General Manager being able to clearly define business priorities to the Director of Operations.
- Take responsibility for the preparation and implementation of business plans, financial budgets, marketing plans and capital expenditure schedules to grow and sustain operating profit.
- Take responsibility for all income and expenditure and demonstrate a sound understanding at all times of the financial detail of the business, culminating in a comprehensive monthly business report to be circulated to the Operations Director and Chief Executive.
- Monitor all financial controls and take personal responsibility for oversight of these controls.
- Play an integral part in month end procedures, including accounting of stock.
- Maintain weekly a 3-month rolling forecast of the business.
- Adhere and monitor purchasing policies and procedures are complied with.
- Ensure BGL agreed procedures and policies are adhered to.
- Ensure staff gratuities are promoted, once received ensure they are distributed transparently and ethically.
- Take full responsibility for the consistent high level of presentation of the golf course in line with recognised group procedures.
- Inspect the greenkeeping shed on a monthly basis checking training records are maintained for team members and that company assets are being checked and maintained.
- Maintain and update the risk assessment register on an annual basis.
- Achieve and maintain 5-stars for EHO Scores on the Doors.
- Hold a personal licence and act as the DPS combined with a current full Disclosure and valid drivers’ licence.
- Conduct a monthly in-depth inspection of the clubhouse with the contract cleaner and the maintenance manager.
- Write and maintain the management rota for the club that clearly defines at any one point in time who is responsible for the property and the welfare of the staff.
- Ensure qualified first aiders are on duty at any given moment in time.
- Provide an environment which constantly exceeds the statutory minimum of fire, hygiene, health & safety in relation to training and physical implementation.
- Achieve a minimum of 85% in the annual H&S audit.
The General Manager will demonstrate engagement with the following systems:
- Excel spreadsheets.
- Intelligent Golf.
- The BGL Academy.
- Free meal on duty
- Annual bonus
- Free golf access at BGL venues
- Private Healthcare